IID held its second Policy Breakfast on 2 April 2015 on the Future Direction of Bangladesh’s Foreign Policy, in partnership with National Democratic Institute (NDI). It aimed to contribute to an informed-debate among the high impact policy community on Bangladesh’s foreign policy issues in the subcontinent and beyond.
After an intense debate on the motion— whether regional connectivity be the priority for Bangladesh’s foreign policy—the house voted 13 to 23 for the motion.
Format of the session—
- Opening remarks by Rishi Datta, Resident Director, National Democratic Institute (NDI), Bangladesh
- Keynote speech, State Minister Md. Shahriar Alam, State Minister, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Bangladesh
- Introduction of the motion, Ambassador Farooq Sobhan, President, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute, Former Foreign Secretary
- Openning Debate–
Mr. Shayan Khan, Executive Editor, The Dhaka Courier
Ms. Khaleda Akhter, Senior Research Associate, Centre for Policy Dialogue
- Floor debate moderated by Ambassador Farooq Sobhan
- Voting on the motion by Mr. Syeed Ahamed, CEO, Institute of Informatics and Development (IID)
- Concluding remarks, State Minister Md. Shahriar Alam